Bamboo Floors and Their Specifications
It is very important to decide on the best type of flooring for your new home for each and every room in the house. There are many categories of bamboo flooring that you can consider worth for each single room.
The main reasons why bamboo floors are mostly considered to be the best option for new homes is that;
- They are good looking.
- They are affordable.
- The eco-credentials.
Currently, bamboo floors have been said to gain a wide acceptance as compared to timber floors and are more popular since they are so cheap as compared to these solid timber floors. Another reason that has made bamboo floors market to enlarge is that they grow so first in addition to it being a renewable resource making to be a sustainability to it which makes those building new homes to appreciate it.
Bamboo comes from different types of resources whereby some are observed to greener than others. Therefore, it is advisable to check the sustainability of it by ensuring that the sources are verified. A good example of these verified sustainable sources is the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC).
Another main important specification of bamboo is that it is fast growing, insect resistant and biodegradable. It comes in a different range of colours and is also quick for installation purposes even in solid floors as it arrives while pre-finished.
However, like any other floors, bamboo floors are also prone to scratching. It is hard to sand it back and get refinished as for the case of timber floors. Despite the fact that bamboo floors are said to be hard wearing and durable, some bamboo floors are more hard-wearing as compared to others. Also as stated earlier, bamboo floors are a different variety of colour stains, hence it is always advisable to select the type of colour that cannot easily fade over time.
Advantage of Bamboo Floors for new homes
- They require low maintenance has no special cleaning agents are needed to clean it. A damp mob is enough for cleaning it or just sweeping it.
- Bamboo flooring provides warmth aesthetic to your new home as it creates a comfortable feeling due to its natural look and material feel.
- It is cost effective as it is rare to repair for a long period of time.
- It does well in both humid and arid climate hence has got a high climate suitability.
- It is durable. This is because it is hard enough for resisting impact caused by falling objects also high traffic areas like a living room. Also, it is said to be hard since its compressibility is greater than that of concrete and somehow the same as that of steel when it is subjected to tension.
- It is environmentally friendly. This because bamboo is a renewable source.
- Bamboo floors come in a variety of patterns and colours. There are three main categories of colour that you can choose from, that is, natural bamboo that is light blonde in colour, carbonized bamboo that is darker in colour and finally stained bamboo that is coloured with different stains like dark, medium, light and light shades.
Disadvantages of Bamboo Floors for New Homes
- It is not good for installation in wet areas like bathrooms since it will swell, bend or warp.
- It is not good for installation in areas that are prone to high amounts of moisture.
- It is difficult to cut bamboo floors if you are not using the correct saw.