What happens during a Building Inspection
A building inspection is a report on the current condition of a building. Usually when you are moving to a new home, it’s essential to have a building inspection carried out by a professional. The major reason why people have building inspections in Melbourne carried out is to avoid potentially expensive mistakes in the near future.
The advantage of a building inspection is that it gives you an in depth report on the condition of your current home. It can give you some basic idea of the number of repairs which need to be carried out. It holds special importance when your home is a vintage piece or a few decades older. This way you are mentally prepared for any extra work which the home requires before you actually move in.
You can expect the following at a building inspection.
- The inspector would look for cracks in the wall. If there is wallpaper the cracks could be hidden. They would examine it for any cracks behind the wall paper.
- Floors and walls are checked for damp patches. Older homes are susceptible to leakages.
- Ceilings are checked for signs of mould and leakages.
- Windows and blinds are checked in order to see if those are in proper working conditions. The hinges of windows tend to wear off over time and would require oiling or a complete change.
- Plumbing systems are given a thorough check to look for leakages and drainage systems are checked as well.
- Electrical supplies are checked for lose wiring or cabling deficiencies.
- Framework are check for rot and decay.
- Look for signs of pests.
The building inspector would ensure to make all the above mentioned checks. If you are moving into a house with a garden or a yard they may also conduct an extensive outside check. Once they have analysed the home, they will prepare a detailed report. You can then make knowledgeable decisions regarding the repairs and maintenance work which is needed.
Things to keep in mind when hiring a building inspector
- Get necessary referrals and read the reviews. You could start by asking people you know. If they don’t have much idea regarding it, a visit to a reputable trade organisation for the number of a building inspector.
- Make sure Gallo Building Inspections in Melbourne have what you require. Whether you require a residential building inspector or a commercial building inspector.
- Once you have a list of potential people you would like to hire, read some of the online reviews left for them by previous clients.
- Carry out an interview with at least two or three people. Talking over the phone or face to face is a good idea. It would help you find how the building inspector works and whether their method is ok with you.
- They should have the necessary experience and certification to carry out their work. You can ask them whether they belong to any business bureau and about their qualification.
Finding a good building inspector in Melbourne is easy when you keep the above mentioned things in mind.